ABOUT THIS POLICY
TABLE OF CONTENTS AND SUMMARY
- Information We Collect: Information we collect about you. We collect information that you give us, and information about your device and use of NerdLevels. We use various technologies to collect this information, including cookies. We collect more information about adult users than child users.
- Protecting Your Personal Information: Our data security measures. NerdLevels uses appropriate measures to keep your information safe. We do not work with any third parties which do not promise the same.
- Using Your Personal Information: When and how we use your personal information. We restrict our use of child user information.
- Sharing Your Personal Information: Our information sharing practices. We do not share your information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
- Your Data Rights: Learn about your data rights. We don’t keep any of your information longer than the period for which we need it, and consider a number of factors to determine that period.
- Contact Us: Say hi, ask questions, and express concerns.
SCOPE OF THIS POLICY
- NerdLevels’ offline practices
- Practices of subsidiaries or affiliates of NerdLevels
Please also see our Terms of Conditions, where we explain other conditions, disclaimers, and limits of liability which apply to your use of our Website: https://nerdlevels.com/terms-and-conditions.
Special Protections for K-12 Accounts
NerdLevels takes student safety very seriously. If you sign up for a K-12 Student or Teacher accounts, additional protections apply to your account because your educational institution may provide NerdLevels with student personal information, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA, 20 U.S.C. §1232(g) and 34 C.F.R. Pt. 99).
- NerdLevels will process student information in compliance with applicable laws, including FERPA and the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPIPA, Cal. Bus. & Prof. §§22584-22585).
- NerdLevels will collect, use, and disclose student information collected through this Website only as permitted under the agreement between NerdLevels and the student’s educational institution. NerdLevels will collect and use student information only to fulfill its duties and improve its services as specified in the agreement. NerdLevels will not share student information with any third parties except as specified in the agreement and will obtain the consent of the educational institution before changing any of these conditions.
- NerdLevels does not collect student information for the purposes of advertising. We will not use any student information to market to students or their parents.
- If asked by the student’s educational institution, NerdLevels will destroy, transfer, or provide collected student information to the educational institution. NerdLevels will delete or transfer this information within ninety days, or a shorter time period as required by law. Upon termination of the agreement between NerdLevels and the educational institution, NerdLevels will destroy all personally identifiable student information.
- We will not make any changes to how we process student data without prior notice to and permission by the educational institution.
- Only educational institutions may make changes to student accounts. Please contact us for administrator access to change, correct, or delete student information.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect certain personally identifiable information (“personal information” or “information”) from you when you use this Website. We define personal information as all personally identifiable information and other non-public information, such as user data, metadata, and user content.
The information that we collect includes:
- Account Data: You must create an account to use this website. When you create or update your account, you must give us certain information, such as your email address, password, age, and gender. By providing us this information, you agree that we may collect and store this information. You may also choose to make some or all of this information visible on your profile, which is visible to other members of the website.
- Parent or Guardian Data: If you are a child in the United States under 13 years old, we need your parent or guardian’s email address or other contact information so that we can verify their identity and give you permission to access the Website. We will ask your parent or guardian for their date of birth and e-signature.
- Classes Data: We collect information about your progress in your classes. We collect information about the assignments you complete, questions and answers between you and the instructor, and other information about the class.
- Payment Data: To pay for your subscription, you need to give our payment partners certain payment and billing information. We use Stripe to process payments. For your safety, NerdLevels does not collect or store your payment data.
- Communication and Support Data: If you have a questions or concern about your classes or NerdLevels in general, you can send us an email using our contact information. If you choose to send us an email, we will collect your contact information so that we can email you back. We can’t get back to you if you do not give us your contact information.
For your safety, we do not collect Personal Information about your:
- Racial or ethnic origin,
- Political opinions,
- Religious or philosophical beliefs,
- Trade union membership,
- Genetic, biometric, or health-related data, or
- Sex life or sexual orientation.
When you use the Website, we also collect information about your device. To collect this information, we use web beacons, tags, pixels, log files, and cookies which are installed on your device. We also collect information about the web pages that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the site, and how you interact with our Website.
We collect the following information from your device:
- System Data: Information about your device, including its IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browsers, domain and other systems data, and platform types.
- Interactions Data: Information about how you use our Website: the courses you access, time spent on courses and assignments and different webpages, the Website features that you use, your click data, date and time that you use our website, and other information.
- Geographic Data: Information about your location: city and state, and geographic coordinates of your IP address.
We are tech-savvy at NerdLevels, so here is some information about the technology we use to collect this information:
- Log Files: “Log files” track actions on our Website. They collect data such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- Web Beacons, Tags, and Pixels: “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files which track information about how you use the Website.
- Do Not Track (DNT) Signals: We do not track users over time and across third party websites, nor do we allow third parties to track you. Because we do not track you, our Website does not respond to DNT signals.
- Automated Decision-making: We do not use automated decision-making on our Website.
Cookies: Cookies are small files that our Website or our service providers transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser. Cookies let us recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information. For example, cookies let you stay logged in even when you exit a browser window. You can read more about cookies at https://www.allaboutcookies.org.
Some cookies are so essential to making our website work properly that you can’t opt out of them. However, you can opt in or out of other cookies. You should know that opting out of certain cookies can prevent you from using certain features or services on our Website.
- Necessary Cookies: We use these cookies to carry essential services of our website. For example, we use Necessary Cookies to let you log in and register an account, to track email sign-ups, to process orders, to submit digital forms, and to change your site preferences. Because our Website can’t work properly without using these cookies, you can’t opt out of them.
- Zoho Showtime – More information here.
- Learn Dash – Mote information here.
- Analytics Cookies: We use these cookies to learn how you and other users arrive to and use our Website. You can opt out of these cookies by visiting the opt out links below, or by modifying your browser settings (see the Brower Opt-Out section).
- Google – More information here; opt out here.
- Zoho – More information here.
- Learn Dash – More information and opt out here.
- PHP – More information here.
- Facebook – More information here.
- Mixpanel – More information here; opt out here.
- Functional Cookies: We use these cookies to give you and other users a better browsing experience. You can opt out of these cookies by modifying your browser settings (see the Browser Opt-Out section).
- Stripe – More information here.
- Woo Commerce – More information and opt out here.
- PHP – More information here.
Browser Opt-Out: Most browsers have a “help” button or section on the toolbar. If you click on this button or section, the browser will tell you how to turn cookies on and off and how to get a notification when a new cookie is received.
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Apple Safari
Mobile devices: The Browser Opt-Out links above might not work on your mobile device. Every mobile device is different. Here are some resources for turning off cookies for popular mobile browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox (Android)
- Google Chrome
- Apple Safari
We also use your information to control risk and prevent fraud (especially your IP address), and to improve our Website (for example, by seeing which classes you enroll in). We do not allow third parties to collect your Personal Information over time or across different websites.
If you are a child in the United States under 13 years old, you need parental consent to use our Website. When you sign up for an account, we will ask you for your parent or guardian’s contact information. Before you can use our Website, we will verify your parent or guardian’s identity. We do not collect information from minors without the explicit consent of their parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian will receive special log-in information so that they can track your progress on our Website. You will need your parent or guardian to enter their password before you can access any links visible on our Website.
Also, if you are under 13 years old, your parent can:
- Ask us for description of the types of personal information that we collected from you, and a copy of that information.
- Keep us from collecting information from you, or from storing your information.
All children under 18 years old can ask us to delete any content that they posted on our Website. If you would like us to delete your content, please contact us using the email address below. We cannot guarantee that your content will be completely deleted, for example if a third party reposted your content.
Please contact us at email@example.com for help with these requests.
Change or Delete Your Information
To change the information that you gave us, please visit your account settings page. If you are a child user, your parents may modify your personal information by logging in with their account.
If you terminate your subscription to our Website, or ask us to delete your account, we will delete your account and login information. We may use your de-identified information for the purpose of assessing and improving our offered services.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
NerdLevels is committed to keeping you and your information safe. We use appropriate and industry-standard security measures to protect your information. We do not work with any third parties unless they agree to use appropriate security measures to protect your information. NerdLevels does not share your passwords.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell or rent the personal information of adult or child users, except in the context of company reorganization as described in this policy.
Adult Information: We use your information for the following purposes:
- To pay for and be billed for your account. We will also send you information about your subscription and late or missed payments.
- To answer your questions and concerns and respond to your requests.
- To send you information about products and services which we think you will be interested in. To opt out of marketing communications, please follow the instructions at the bottom of each email, or contact us directly using the information below.
- To evaluate our services, and to develop and improve services that we offer to you.
- To adapt our services to best fit your needs, for example based on your progress in class.
- If you are an adult who has special log-in information to track your child’s progress on our Website, we will send you information about your child’s progress by email. You can modify your notification preferences on your Account Settings > Email Preferences page.
Child Information: We use your information for the following purposes:
- To track your progress in class and monitor your completed assignments.
- To analyze and assess your progress on our Website, to provide to your parent or guardian or the educational institution.
- To evaluate our services, and to develop and improve services that we offer to you.
- To adapt our services to best fit your needs, for example, based on your progress in class.
For adult and child users, we may additionally use your information to:
- Comply with applicable law, law enforcement authorities and agencies, or legal process.
- Protect your and our rights, privacy, safety, or property interests, or the interests of our affiliates and other parties.
- Pursue remedies and limit damages.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Other than trusted third parties described below, we do not sell, trade, or transfer your information to third parties. And in particular, we do not let third parties use your information for their direct marketing purposes.
Function and Types of Parties
Function: Operate our Website
-Hosting, cloud, and other technology services providers
-Order and subscription management and fulfillment service providers
-Email communication and customer support service providers
-Web analytics service providers
We share your information so that we can run our Website, conduct business, manage our Website, and host our Website.
Function: Process your payment
-Payment processors (Stripe)
We share your Personal Information with these parties so that we can bill you for our services, and so you can pay us.
Before we share your information with a third party, the third party must agree to keep your information confidential and to use appropriate security measures to protect your information. As mentioned above, we will disclose your information if we must do so under the law, in order to enforce our Website policies, or in order to protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
If NerdLevels merges with another company, or if NerdLevels is acquired or reorganized, your information will be transferred to the new merged, acquired, or reorganized company. We may disclose your Personal Information as part of the consideration, negotiation, or completion of this reorganization.
Finally, NerdLevels may disclose de-identified or aggregated information as permitted under the law, as long as this information cannot be used to identify any individual user or device.
We don’t keep any of your personal information for any longer than we need it for the purpose for which we collected it. To determine how long we will keep your personal information, we will consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of your information, the risk of harm to you if your personal information is used or disclosed without authorization, the purposes for which we are using or retaining your personal information and if we can achieve those purposes using other means, and applicable legal requirements. When we no longer need your personal information, we will delete it or anonymize it so that you can no longer be identified.
We process your information in the United States. Your information will not be transferred to another country without your consent.
NerdLevels is a private company incorporated in California. For more information about our privacy practices, for questions or complaints, or to ask us to change or update your information, please contact us by e mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or using the information below:
1523 41st Ave
(847) 421 1399
San Francisco, CA 94122